HP LaserJet 1020 :  foo2zjs - foo2hp - foo2xqx - foo2lava - foo2qpdl - foo2oak
Support for linux printer drivers
The fastest message board... ever.

ZJStream with HP LaserJet 1020 performance problems [fedora]
Posted by: Paranoja ()
Date: June 26, 2011 08:35PM

Sorry for bumping such old thread up but I have almost the same issue: when printing any file with more than one page at the very beginning of printing job after printing each page printer stops and waits for some time (approx. 40 sec) before it starts printing a new one. During that a green led blinks with approx. 1 second interval. When the printing job goes to the end and there are about 5 pages left to print the printer sometimes prints them all one-by-one as it should be, but not always. Every printing is done at A4 paper. I also have a virtual installation of WinXP at the same machine with stock drivers installed. Printing the same job from WinXP is done smoothly and without stops. This applies to almost all documents but overwhelming majority of djvu printouts are printed one-by-one page without delays. Looks like some PostScript-related issue to me.

Printer itself is connected to server. which is driven by Fedora 14 x86_64 but there are other clients amongst Fedora 15 and WinXPs too. This behavior doesn't occur while printing from WinXPs.

This definitely is not a USB cable issue as was suggested in other threads.
I can provide any additional info when needed. This issue is very annoying when need to print jobs with a lot of pages (more than 100) each because it takes about 50 seconds to print each page.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/26/2011 08:55PM by rickrich.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: ZJStream with HP LaserJet 1020 performance problems [fedora]
Posted by: rickrich ()
Date: June 26, 2011 08:59PM

Please put the *Postscript* on the web so I can try it. HP LaserJet 1020 and Fedora 14 is my OS and primary printer and I haven't seen this AT ALL.

Date: June 26, 2011 09:19PM

Page count 6460 on Fedora...

Date: June 28, 2011 09:58AM

Here are the files:

printer-test-10p.odt: a source file (10 pages), printed from OO.org-3.3.0. 40-second delays were present;
printer-test-10p_fedora.odt.ps: a PostScript dump, made by CUPS after printing. 40-second delays were present too;
printer-test-10p_fedora.odt.ps.ps: a CUPS PS dump after printing printer-test-10p_fedora.ps using Okular (I'm using KDE). 40-second delays were present too;

printer-test-10p_fedora.odt.ps.djvu: djvu file generated by any2djvu from printer-test-10p_fedora.odt.ps;
printer-test-10p_fedora.odt.ps.djvu.ps: a CUPS PS dump after printing printer-test-10p_fedora.odt.ps.djvu using Okular. No 40-second delays;

printer-test-10p_winxp.odt.cups-raw: a CUPS dump after printing printer-test-10p.odt under WinXP. No 40-second delays;

Also I tried lp
$ lp printer-test-10p_fedora.odt.ps
request id is HP-LaserJet-1020-1491 (1 file(s))
Printing was done without 40-second delays and CUPS dump was a binary identical to the printer-test-10p_fedora.odt.ps file.

The same thing here:

Date: June 28, 2011 10:55AM

$ lp printer-test-10p_fedora.odt.ps

Works good here. No delays.

Date: June 28, 2011 11:36AM

I mentioned that in my last comment. But it is a way harder to serialize a job into a PS file and then print it via lp for regular user (there is a bunch of users, that don't even know what a cli is).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/28/2011 11:51AM by Paranoja.

Date: June 28, 2011 11:55AM

Not my problem. Talk to OpenOffice or Okular.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.