Samsung CLP-620 :  foo2zjs - foo2hp - foo2xqx - foo2lava - foo2qpdl - foo2oak
Support for linux printer drivers
The fastest message board... ever.

620ND prints garbage (ocassionaly) [solved; USB problem, use network]
Posted by: pangolin ()
Date: November 11, 2011 06:01PM

Hi,

I'm having problems with my CLP-620ND. I am using the driver downloaded from the website on Ubuntu 11.10. Every so often (about 30% of the time) rather than printing my document it will just print a line of garbage on as much paper as I have in the paper tray.

The printer is new and connected by usb (under windows I haven't had any problems). If you can tell me how to give more useful debugging info I will gladly help.

Thanks,

Rob

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/24/2011 09:11AM by rickrich.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 620ND prints garbage (ocassionaly)
Posted by: rickrich ()
Date: November 11, 2011 06:23PM

Print post the Postscript (*.ps) source for the document you are having trouble with.

Date: November 12, 2011 07:51AM

Sorry to be dumb, but how do I get the postscript source? I tried using the "print to file option" in libreoffice but that gives me a pdf (which you can download from here http://ubuntuone.com/2GjIV3V4Q6xPkVvC0sjrJT ).

It is two pages of book printed on one side of paper.

Interestingly if I try printing the two pages directly from libreoffice I get garbage, but if I print to file, then open the file with evince and print that, it works fine (also if I print the two pages from libreoffice to my other laser printer, a ML-2240 it works fine).

Date: November 12, 2011 07:58AM

Looking again at the print out of the pdf from evince, though it doesn't print garbage, it prints the document about 2/3 size and positioned oddly on the page. No amount of tweaking of evince's print options seems to be able to fix this.

Date: November 12, 2011 09:37AM

Changing libreoffice from pdf printing to Postscript printing still prints garbage from libreoffice, but now if I do "print to file" it gives me a ps file (which you can find here http://ubuntuone.com/6qonHVSYMbHx7QvgpeUR6m ) that if I open from evince, prints perfectly.

I assume that this points to libreoffice being the culprit?

Date: November 12, 2011 10:18AM

Hmm a bit more testing, and the culprit does seem to be the printer language setting in libreoffice. If I select pdf as the printing language, I can print basic documents fine, but complex ones often (more than 50% of the time) result in garbage. With the language set to Postscript (level determined by driver) I have so far only had one print as garbage no matter how complex.

Date: November 23, 2011 02:52PM

After more testing I've been able to create two versions of postscript for a file, one which prints correctly and one which causes the printer to spew out garbage.

The first file was created by clicking print in libreOffice and then fishing the postscript file from the print spool. The second file was created by clicking "print to file" and then printing the postscript file that was created from evince and then fishing that from the print spool.

The postscript that fails to print is here:
http://ubuntuone.com/6Xrj8TG8UAJbJIU92ZKPdd

The postscript that succeeds is here: http://ubuntuone.com/4QANoKZ0bWBJcNelfaqts2

The difference between the two files is that the one that doesn't print has the line:
%%Page: 1 1
Where as the one that does print ok has the line:
%%Page: 1 0

The file is one page long (though it was made by putting two pages on it).
So my question is, should both versions print (they do on my other printer)? Or is this (as I suspect) a libreOffice problem?

Thanks.

Date: November 23, 2011 03:46PM

$ foo2qpdl-wrapper -z3 ~/tmp/succededPrintout-fromEvince > xxxx

$ foo2qpdl-wrapper -z3 ~/tmp/failedPrintout > xxx

$ ll xxx xxxx
-rw-rw-r-- 1 rick rick 200616 Nov 23 14:41 xxx
-rw-rw-r-- 1 rick rick 200616 Nov 23 14:40 xxxx

$ cmp xxx xxxx
$
No difference!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/23/2011 03:47PM by rickrich.

Date: November 23, 2011 10:22PM

More testing and it seems that both files print fine the first time and then on the second attempt they both print garbage (I must have always tried the one that I thought succeeds, first and the one I thought always failed second). If I try printing the files using gview on windows I can print as many times as I like.

The printer still does the same thing (i.e prints garbage the second time) if I convert the file myself using

foo2qpdl-wrapper -z3 -t -r600x600 -p2 -m0 -s1 -d1 -n1 -z3 failedPrintout > xxx

and then print it with
lpr -l xxx
lpr -l xxx
I

Date: November 24, 2011 06:50AM

Probably related to USB in linux. Can you hook it up using the network connection?

Date: November 24, 2011 08:16AM

Fingers crossed, that seems to have done it! Thanks for your help (even though it wasn't anything to do with the driver).

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.