Oki C3300n, C3400n, C3530n MFP :  foo2zjs - foo2hp - foo2xqx - foo2lava - foo2qpdl - foo2oak
Support for linux printer drivers
The fastest message board... ever.

oki c3400n on puppy linux 4.1.2, LAN hookup, by noob
Posted by: canbyte ()
Date: March 02, 2009 01:57PM

Hi Rick
I'm getting stuck at many points of your instruction due to my complete ignorance of linux commands, consoles, installing, compiling etc. With a lot of help, i got the foozjs.tar.gz file downloaded, unzipped, compiled, installed (make, make install). I have simple questions that should probably be in your general section above since it applies to all printers. (Permission denied). Really i have a burning desire once this process is complete to help other noob clutz like myself by creating a compleate instruction page that includes all the details that regular users just assume we know. Also, with regards to your site, i hope that my efforts will enable you to add Puppy to your list of supported distros. I suppose other disttros would be easier to work with but i've kinda got stuck on the Puppy for a variety of reasons and hope making the Oki printer work will let me be off and running and able to do some work to contribute back to linuxland.

Q1. Right now i'm trying to use the getweb command you give
$ ./getweb 3400 # Get Oki C3400n .ICM files

What i don't understand is where to put this command, and how it knows where to go to get the wanted file. So i assumed i should open a console in the foo directory on my machine and issue the command there. I got this response:
getweb: Don't know how to get extra stuff for printer 3400#

Will i recognize it when i get it? ie if its all mixed in with other files, how will i find what got downloaded. Then, i will need to know how to do the next instructions you give:
Install driver, foomatic XML files, and extra files:
ie how does one install, which extra files, all xml files or just some
if by install, you mean compile, i guess this makes a new executable file to be processed by the previous compiled file?? Sorry my limited understanding makes for dumb questions. Hopefully the answers will benefit others
re
$ su OR $ sudo make install
# make install
I don't know if puppy uses sudo

re
(Optional) If you use CUPS, restart the spooler:
# make cups OR $ sudo make cups
yes, Puppy uses CUPS. Is this instruction bypassing the above instruction? What's a spooler? Where does one enter those commands, if in console, which directory is console opened in?

Then your insructions go into distro specific instructions - hopefully i can get some help from puppy forums. Queue instructions = mystery but lets wait till i get along a bit!

Thanks ahead.

PS, if you want to move this post to the general section, i'll look there as needed on return.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: oki c3400n on puppy linux 4.1.2, LAN hookup, by noob
Posted by: rickrich ()
Date: March 02, 2009 02:39PM

Do this from the beginning:

$ wget -O foo2zjs.tar.gz http://foo2zjs.rkkda.com/foo2zjs.tar.gz  
$ tar zxf foo2zjs.tar.gz   
$ cd foo2zjs
$ make
$ ./getweb 3400
C3400-L1-BIN-ICC_0603150.icm
C3400-L2-BIN-ICC_0604110.icm

(c) Copyright Okidata 2006

$ su
# make install

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2009 02:45PM by rickrich.

Re: oki c3400n on puppy linux 4.1.2, LAN hookup, by noob
Posted by: canbyte ()
Date: March 03, 2009 10:06PM

Success, many thanks. As promised, i'm going to make notes so others can follow more easily. Note dear reader, the following is being done on a Puppy Linux distro. Very nice (small /quick) but may be different than other distros. Also note i'm writing 2 days after the fact so if i put ** it indicates i may be a little fuzzy on the details per a note you'll find

I didn't do the 1st 4 lines as it had been done already, but i think it would be easier for other folk to do as you suggest. Very concise. Newbies: what he means is that you must open a console window which in puppy is the rxvt icon on your screen. Before you open it, bring up the rox filer window and navigate to /mnt/home. Right click on an empty space, select window, select 'open terminal here' then enter the above first two commands.

Note that in rickrich's window above you see a $, our rxvt uses # instead, don't add the $

You can use his 3rd command or you can use your rox window to navigate to the directory he mentions - in my case it ended up being in /initrd/mnt/dev_sav/foo2zjs. Just a way of cd = changing directory.

Take a deep breath
execute his 4th line, make
You will see a bunch of stuff flash by if it worked.

Enter the command gcc
If you see gcc:no input files, you did it right, ** if not, maybe i did this after the next step - press on

At this point, i entered
make install

I'm not sure if this is necessary but another wad of stuff flew by.

try that gcc thing again

Now check for an "lp" error (Puppy users) in the last few lines of the above outputs
If you see this, we have to correct it later (change lp to root), i'll give you a link

now for that 5th line
since i hadn't done the preceeding lines as he did, i had to tell getweb where to go as follows

./getweb 3400 [foo2zjs.rkkda.com]

hope you saw those files coming in - go check

Rick's next instruction, also note on the main page is a sudo thing which puppy does not have

i just took a chance with
make install

it worked.

Next it says
Install driver, foomatic XML files, and extra files
Apparantly not available for the oki 3400
what you get is the 600 and 1200 dpi options
No colors, you get greyscale unless theres a setting somewhere

now go back to puppy and i'll lead you on to my adventures with cups
it involves correcting the lp thing to root plus a bunch of steps to connect to the printer/network

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=266666#266666
Strange printer on home network, DONE -very happy nooob.
If i forgot something, i'll repost.
Thanks again RickRich
Let me know if you wan me to put something together for a general section

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.