HP LaserJet P1505 / P1505n :  foo2zjs - foo2hp - foo2xqx - foo2lava - foo2qpdl - foo2oak
Support for linux printer drivers
The fastest message board... ever.

my 1505n works without sending the firmware
Posted by: confused ()
Date: February 26, 2009 03:06PM

Hi

I am a bit confused although I got my 1505n working. First of all, I have used the foo2* packages included in my kubuntu 8.10. I know the author encourages not to use them buy I prefer not installing software not included in the standard repositories to keep the system "clean" (unless it is strictly necessary). My first question would be why the author does recommend not using the foo2* packages included in distributions.

As the 1505n was not in the printer list I got by the printer manager gui included in kubuntu I thought the ppd file was missing. I discovered the ppd was there but it was compressed (/usr/share/ppd/foo2zjsHP-LaserJet_P1505.ppd.gz) . I uncompressed it and manually selected it when I was asked to give the model of my printer.

Everything worked fine and I can print using my LAN without problems. How is this possible ? I have not sent the firmware to the printer in any way (unless it get done automatically)

Finally I want to than the author (I plan donating) as I understand he is also the author of the foo2* packages included in Kubuntu.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: my 1505n works without sending the firmware
Posted by: rickrich ()
Date: February 26, 2009 03:25PM

No firmware is needed for 1505n. Just for 1505.

Re: my 1505n works without sending the firmware
Posted by: confused ()
Date: February 26, 2009 03:32PM

Thanks, not even if I printed using the USB cable ? I thought these printers were identical except for the network interface included in the 1505n

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2009 02:03PM by rickrich.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.