Had problems getting the printer to work after I installed the x86_64 version, found that the Xerox driver had empty x86_64 directories. After some Googling I found this project, f002zjs. Looks promising.
I followed the instructions on the main page: http://foo2qpdl.rkkda.com/
Downloaded, unpacked, ./getweb 6110, make, make install, yast2 printer
(JetDirect/Sockett 9100, IP address, A4)
But the print job is just stuck.
I read the message on Ghostscript 8.64 being broken with color prints. My ghostscript version might have this problem:
I have ghostscript-library-8.64-6.2.1.x86_64 from the 11.2-updates repo
But I get the same problem with B/W printing.
If you think it's essential, I could try compiling a newer ghostscript. (I suspect dependencies will break if I try installing older RPM(s).)
I get this
I [20/Feb/2010:14:35:51 +0100] [Job 10] Queued on "Spock" by "root".
I [20/Feb/2010:14:35:51 +0100] [Job 10] Started filter /usr/lib64/cups/filter/texttops (PID 28753)
I [20/Feb/2010:14:35:51 +0100] [Job 10] Started filter /usr/lib64/cups/filter/pstops (PID 28754)
I [20/Feb/2010:14:35:51 +0100] [Job 10] Started filter /usr/lib64/cups/filter/foomatic-rip (PID 28755)
I [20/Feb/2010:14:35:51 +0100] [Job 10] Started backend /usr/lib64/cups/backend/socket (PID 28756)
E [20/Feb/2010:14:39:00 +0100] [Job 10] recoverable: Unable to connect to printer; will retry in 30 seconds...
nmap shows that the printer has the jetdirect port available (I think):
9100/tcp filtered jetdirect
do "Test Connection" in the YAST Printer utility while adding the printer, and it reported the connection to be OK.
I tried using regular LPD instead. The Connection Test in YAST reported "Test OK", but I still get somewhat similar log output, or at least similar delay/timeout (cups error_log).
Not sure where to go/what to try next ...
I did get the printer working using SpliX, but then just 600x600 dpi.
The weird thing, is that I have to power off/on the printer everytime I try to print using the foo2zjs driver. The printer stops responding ... (This might be the reason LPD failed.)
There is no crisis, as I got printing working, but it would be interesting to figure out what the problem is, and maybe I could get full dpi and stuff working. That would be nice. :)
I hope I have provided enough info for this to be informative.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2010 03:55PM by rickrich.