Samsung CLP-300 :  foo2zjs - foo2hp - foo2xqx - foo2lava - foo2qpdl - foo2oak
Support for linux printer drivers
The fastest message board... ever.

Works :) [Debian]
Posted by: UncleDeadley ()
Date: April 20, 2007 11:42PM

Installed as per directions on Debian Sid/Unstable. Using ghostscript-gpl (8.53, I think). Selecting monochrome gives nice sharp text. Selecting color gives text that is fuzzy around the edges. Pictures look GREAT, not photo quality, but really quite good! Beats the pants of the epson 880 I junked. Thanks so much. Any idea why text gets fuzzy when printing in color?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/21/2007 03:17PM by rickrich.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Works :)
Posted by: cawpin ()
Date: April 21, 2007 12:25PM

Did you have to do anything special to get the color working? I'm using Ubuntu 7.04 and the driver works, unlike the Samsung provided driver, just not in color.

Re: Works :)
Posted by: rickrich ()
Date: April 21, 2007 03:17PM

Did you do:
$ sudo gnome-cups-manager
[set Color Mode = color]
$ sudo make cups       <--- This avoids the bug
Ubuntu has a bug with gnome-cups-manager.

Re: Works :) [Debian]
Posted by: UncleDeadley ()
Date: April 21, 2007 10:23PM

All I did was choose 'color' instead of 'monochrome' in the cups options for the printer. The only hitch on installig the foo2qdpl driver was that there was still no CLP-300 driver in the samsung section in cups via localhost:631. I had to go back to look at the output of the 'make install' to see where the PPD file went.

Quality of the foo driver seems to be equal to the samsung driver. They both print fuzzy edged black text when in color mode. That'll be a problem when I print figures and captions for my thesis. The samsung drivers were a big hassle to install. Directions weren't very good, especially when compared to the directions given for the foo2 driver. The samsung linux drivers also seem substandard, compared to the windows drivers, which print nice sharp text even in color mode. But hey, at least they offered linux drivers, unlike lots of other companies. I have great hopes that this open driver will get better, but I hold little hope that the samsung linux driver will improve any.

Is there anything I might do to help improve the quality of the foo2qpdl driver so that black text is sharp in color-mode, too?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/21/2007 10:39PM by UncleDeadley.

Posted by: JOker ()
Date: May 08, 2007 10:18AM

Ive got the same problem.
Only in Colormode the Text Suxx :(
Doesnt anyone know a solution?
Its very important for me!

Pleasy help...

JOker

Posted by: bilbod ()
Date: May 13, 2007 05:33PM

Strange problem with this driver.

I set up 2 print queues, one for color and one for monochrome.

The test page from cups prints fine on monochrome but does not print at all for color.

Trying to print to the color queue from the commandline does not work either.

The really strange thing is I can print color images and the oo test page to the color queue from oowriter.

The pages sent to the color queue that don't print, show up in the cups completed jobs with no errors????

Bill

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.