General foo2xqx :  foo2zjs - foo2hp - foo2xqx - foo2lava - foo2qpdl - foo2oak
Support for linux printer drivers
The fastest message board... ever.

CUPS jobs get stuck with Ubuntu 8.04 & HP P1006
Posted by: elladan ()
Date: July 08, 2008 10:20AM

Hi,

Using Ubuntu 8.04, it looks like I get some sort of error every time I print a document, which causes CUPS to decide not to finish the job. Thus, the job gets stuck (and re-prints every time I restart CUPS).

The printout actually seems to work OK. I just get a mysterious error message in the UI, and stuck jobs. The stuck jobs prevent new jobs from being submitted.

This happens using the foo2zjs + HP LaserJet P1006 driver. It seemed to work with Ubuntu 7.10.

I can't really diagnose the type of error any better, since CUPS is such a horrific pile of shit. I tried looking in the various cups log files, but there was no useful data of any kind in there. Plus, every time I try to use the CUPS webui, it feels like someone punched me in the face.

Any ideas? I'm guessing that the P1006 driver is crashing / returning an error in some mysterious way here.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: CUPS jobs get stuck with Ubuntu 8.04 & HP P1006
Posted by: rickrich ()
Date: July 08, 2008 02:11PM

Driver does NOT crash.

Re: CUPS jobs get stuck with Ubuntu 8.04 & HP P1006
Posted by: undecidable ()
Date: August 11, 2008 04:15AM

See this post:
http://foo2zjs.rkkda.com/forum/read.php?42,1207
The theory is that is is related to toner low messages on the new ("introductory") toner cartridges.

Workaround: After the job has printed, just cancel it from the printer queue. The next job will then start printing.

In fact even if you dont have another job waiting, you should cancel it from the printer queue as otherwise it will send error messages every thirty seconds to the system log.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.