HP Color LaserJet 1600 :  foo2zjs - foo2hp - foo2xqx - foo2lava - foo2qpdl - foo2oak
Support for linux printer drivers
The fastest message board... ever.

Colour Profile / Colour Print Quality
Posted by: Johnathon ()
Date: June 13, 2007 05:09AM

Printing to the 1600, the default colour profile, to be frank, is rubbish. The colours are off, and the system appears to have defaulted to dithering, or some such technique, which means that there are diagonal lines across all of the prints.

The text quality is fantastic, its just the colour that's off. Is there any way to improve it? Do we need to purchase a custom colour profile? If so, would it be possible to buy a generic-style one, in order that it can be put back into the system for all to use?

(Speaking as someone who hasn't the first clue about colour profiles etc, and is a relative Linux Newbie.)

Just for contrast, we've attached the printer to our shared office windows machine. The prints come out looking just fine, and the colour hue's are brilliant.

Of course.. it may be a problem with our setup.. But I've tried it on a Red-Hat based system, and a Ubuntu system :S

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/13/2007 05:12AM by Johnathon.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Colour Profile / Colour Print Quality
Posted by: rickrich ()
Date: June 13, 2007 05:40AM

Use 8.54+ with Well Tempering Screening.

I don't see this.

$ foo2hp2600-wrapper -c pic.ps >pic-gs854-Qwts.zc
$ nc 192.168.1.12 9100 < pic-gs854-Qwts.zc

Prints fine.

File: pic-gs854-Qwts.zc

Date: June 14, 2007 06:10AM

I finally got round to reconnecting our printer to a linux system. Same problem, it's hashing large blocks of colour.

What do you mean "Use 8.54+ with Well Tempering Screening."? (sorry if it's a stupid question :S)

I downloaded the file you sent, and ran the command on it.. this is what was returned:

root@scalix:~# foo2hp2600-wrapper -c pic.ps > pic-gs854-Qwts.zc
/usr/bin/foo2hp2600-wrapper: line 298: pic.ps: No such file or directory

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/14/2007 06:10AM by Johnathon.

Date: June 14, 2007 07:47AM

OK, ignore last post.. being idiotic. Currently looking at setting up a raw queue, as we don't have HP JetDirect running on this machine.

Posted by: rickrich ()
Date: June 14, 2007 08:32AM

$ cp pic-gs854-Qwts.zc /dev/usb/lp0

Use ghostscript 8.54. Not what came with your distro.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/14/2007 08:35AM by rickrich.

Date: June 14, 2007 09:53AM

I guess it's a ghostscript problem then... our system appears to be running 8.15.2 (sorry, should have picked that up when I read the known bugs..)

The next Ubuntu version, Gutsy, should have ghostscript 8.60, so I guess we'll just wait for that. (We don't need to print colour often, have a HP laserjet 1320 which works well for b/w printing.)

Thanks for your help... sorry to be a pain in the neck! :(

Johnathon

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/14/2007 09:54AM by Johnathon.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.