HP Color LaserJet 1600 :  foo2zjs - foo2hp - foo2xqx - foo2lava - foo2qpdl - foo2oak
Support for linux printer drivers
The fastest message board... ever.

No colors coming out of 1600
Posted by: hbjastad ()
Date: February 06, 2007 01:39PM

Hi,

I just purchased and set up a new HP Color Laserjet 1600. Everything went smoothly, and I asked GNOME Cups Manager to print a test page. My disappointment was huge when it was all black and white. I purchased this printer to replace and old monochrome Brother laser, and gnomeprinting indicated that it would work on Linux.

I'm running Ubuntu 6.10, and have tried various options without success.

Is there anyone who's been able to print in color from Linux on a 1600, and could offer some tips?

Thanks,

HB.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: No colors coming out of 1600
Posted by: rickrich ()
Date: February 06, 2007 03:59PM

Date: February 06, 2007 05:58PM

Yes, that would be the obvious thing to try (I did even read the Ubuntu page you're linking to). However, it doesn't work. Looking at the linuxprinting.org site, it seems I have to fiddle with a PPD file...so looking into that now.

I'm assuming the one in question is the one located in /et/cups/ppd. The GUI (gnome-cups-manager) doesn't change anything when I alter between Monochrome and Color, so I guess that's the problem.

Date: February 06, 2007 06:50PM

NO!!!!!! That is NOT the way to do it!

rick@rick-ubuntu-610$ lpr -Php1600 testpage.ps
[mono print came out]

rick@rick-ubuntu-610$ lpr -Php1600c testpage.ps
[color print came out]
[/code]

Date: February 07, 2007 05:23PM

Well, maybe it's not the way to do it, but it solved my problem. I was able to change the default page format from Letter to A4 in the GUI (and the .ppd files were updated). However, changing to Color mode did nothing.

When I edited the .ppd file like this, I got color printings:

$ diff /etc/cups/ppd/HP-Color-1600.ppd /etc/cups/ppd/HP-Black-and-white-1600.ppd
79c79
< *DefaultColorMode: Color
---
> *DefaultColorMode: Monochrome

I don't know where the problem lies, but would be happy to test out things if you tell me how...

Date: February 13, 2007 05:00PM

$ sudo gnome-cups-manager
Configure HP 1600/2600n with Color Mode equal to "Color".

Then, do this:
$ sudo make cups
gnome-cups-manager has a bug in it.

Posted by: rob ()
Date: June 13, 2007 06:35PM

Hi Rick,

I encountered exactly the same problem as HB. I tried to solve it your way and following all instructions including restarting cups and even restarting the machine. It still came out black and white.

Then I tried editing like HB did. That solved my problem. Prints are in color now.

ubuntu@ubuntu:/etc/cups/ppd$ diff /etc/cups/ppd/Color-LaserJet-1600.ppd /etc/cups/ppd/Color-LaserJet-1600.ppd.back
232c232
< *DefaultColorMode: Color
---
> *DefaultColorMode: Monochrome

I hope it helps you improve your brilliant work! I have made a contri using Paypal...

Regards,

Rob

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.